The Only California Dermatology Society That Advocates for Dermatologists in California
CalDerm, the California Society of Dermatology & Dermatologic Surgery, is a membership medical society comprised of Board Certified Dermatologists who practice primarily in the state of California. Established in 1972, CalDerm continues to advocate for unhampered relationships between trusting patients and compassionate physicians guided by their highest scientific, artistic, ethical, and professional standards.
- CalDerm is the only organization that has exclusively protected scope of practice and business interests for California Dermatologists for the last 50 years.
- CalDerm is fully engaged in legislative and regulatory issues that impact the practice of dermatology.
- CalDerm ensures that Dermatology has a seat at the policy-making table in Sacramento and represents Dermatology before the California Medical Board and the Medicare Contractor Advisory Committee.
- CalDerm collaborates routinely with other medical and national Dermatology organizations to advance our profession.
Most recently, CalDerm has worked on behalf of California Dermatologists on the following:
- Passage of SB 746: Landmark legislation that prohibits the use of indoor tanning beds by minors in California – the first and only state that has accomplished this national goal.
- Continued work to hold-off any cosmetic procedures tax in California – an effort by lawmakers that surfaces every year in order to boost the state’s revenue.
- Ongoing advocacy to ensure that lawmakers are prevented from undermining the Medical Injury Compensation Reform Act (MICRA) protections for physicians.
In previous years, CalDerm has been successful in:
- Winning the battle against the insurance industry on imposed restrictions to the liquid nitrogen treatments of AK patients.
- Saving Dermatologists tens of thousands of dollars by challenging the CA State Board of Equalization on its attempt to assess a back tax on Botox Cosmetic.
- Fighting against dual fees and inspections on physician operated labs.
- Protecting the ban on corporations practicing medicine, particularly in the med-spa industry.